This website's design
For small sites like this, I prefer to write the HTML myself rather than use a generator. The CSS is tufte-css with some minor modifications:
- The body font is Palatino rather than ET Book.
- Underlines go straight through descenders1.
- The background is white rather than pale yellow. It's a bit less readable but I like the starkness.
- Unused CSS rules like sidenotes were removed.
- I implemented my own footnotes.
I chose to use tufte-css because I like its default spacing values and thin link underlines.
1 Interestingly, Medium's article on underlines talks about clearing the descenders, but it seems like they actually changed their opinion and don't clear the descenders now. [back]